Friday, November 23, 2007

Steak Heaven at Doe's Eat Place

D is originally from Greenville, Mississippi and still has some family and friends down there. He and I recently took a trip down there to visit his mom's side of the family. I have never been to Greenville, or Mississippi for that matter, but I have heard of Doe's Eat Place and their steaks. Doe's started in Greenville, MS in 1941 and has now expanded to other cities. Doe's Eat Place is a small little shack on the side of the road with an open kitchen, a handful of tables and a reputation of grilling up some of the best steaks in the country. In addition to that, they're known for their great tamales. Their recipe has been a family secret since the very beginning and I must say, those things are darn tasty. I have no idea how Tamales got down to the Delta, but they stayed and every place has their own tamales recipe. D and I tried out the tamales at a few different places just to see if there was a difference, and there really is. I have to say though, Doe's had the most flavorful and juicy tamales out of the ones we tried. Apologies for the horrible picture... but here are the tamales in all their glory!





D ordered the 3 lb Porterhouse steak while I went with the 2lb T-bone. It was delicious! The steaks were perfectly grilled with juices running out to meet their amazing fries.



Doe's is a BYOB restaurant so we decided bring a couple bottles of wine. We ended up bringing a bottle of 2001 Penfolds RWT and a 2004 Caymus Special Selection. Both were great wines to have with what we were eating of course, but I really enjoyed the spicyness of the shiraz.

Overall, I would highly recommend dropping by Doe's Eat Place whenever you get the chance!

No comments: